miércoles, 12 de noviembre de 2008

I chose, me

I’ve noticed a huge change in Rita’s attitude from the previous chapter to this one. I’m happy to see that Rita finally chooses herself. In the end, she realises what Frank was trying to teach her before, to be herself, to decide and to be responsible for those choices. Because after all, the important thing is to be free. All the knowledge Frank helped Rita to get has given her the tools to choose. Now she can confront life without shame and without pretending to be somebody else. For all this, Rita wants to thank Frank. I believe the end with Rita cutting Frank’s hair represents her acceptance of who she really is, a new Rita but at the same time the old Rita, both together merged into one. At this point, I would say she has become wise woman. This ending also symbolises all the things Rita also gave Frank throughout the novel and the fact that now she is aware of what she has done. So, I can say that both of them are teachers and students at the same time, and this is a model to follow for us teachers or future teachers: teaching is not connected with contents but with life experiences and sharing, it a double-way process.

2 comentarios:

Gladys Baya dijo...

Hi again, Lu!

As a teacher, don't you feel moved at this stage of the play? I do. It's as if in Rita's satisfaction and pride I found the confirmation that my teaching can also help others live better lives...

I also wanted to add I totally agree with you when you say we're always teachers and learners, and that a wiser person is not the one who has accumulated more information, but become freer thanks to that knowledge (remember Freire?).

BTW, some days ago I read on the paper an interview to a French educator (can't remember his name now, will post back when I can track it!). His point was that no technology can ever replace teachers, because (he said) teaching means developing trust (in oneself and in others), and that's something only humans can do. Loved his idea, and thought I could re-read it between your lines!

Keep in touch,
Gladys

Lucía G. dijo...

Hi, Gladys!
Technology will never reaplace the teaching profession because its inherent components are humans and the relations among them more than mere concepts.And as you said building a relationship of trust is essential in this process.
Freire reflected upon this, he said education is the only way of liberating the oppressed since it help them become aware of their situation of oppression and to realise that there is a way of getting out of it because when we learn we become free. We are given the posssibility of choosing what kind of life we want for us and for the rest of the society.

Huggies,
Lu